About / News
The Sendmail/Postfix log analyzer
SendmailAnalyzer as is name suggest is a free Sendmail/Postfix log analyzer. It process maillog files and generate dynamic statistics in HTML and graphical output. The reports are generated in real time so that it let you know at any moment what is going on your mail servers. It use time (hour, day, month and year views) and cross-linked navigation for easy use.
SendmailAnalyzer is easy to install and highly configurable to match the dozen of Sendmail possible configurations. It also support report for all the major milter or sendmail filters like SpamAssassin, MailScanner, Clamav, Amavis, RBL check, J-ChkMail, etc. SendmailAnalyzer is really helpful for IT reporting.
Collected data are stored in flat files that are automatically archived or delete to keep disk space. All reports before the current day are cached to save system resources and are displayed in less than 1 second.
SendmailAnalyzer can be run on a home dedicated mail server, on multiple enterprise mail servers and on ISP mail servers for free. A single instance of SendmailAnalyzer can be used to monitor multiple sendmail server throught rsyslog. Since version 6.2 multiple rsyslog host report can be merge in a single report.
This is the most advanced and complete statistics tool dedicated to the great Sendmail MTA. It's goal is not to support any kind of MTA or other log format but only being a full featured tool for Sendmail users and administrators. If you're searching something more general and not free take a look at SawMill, it's not so bad :-)
Version 9.0 - Saturday March 15 2014
UPGRADE: You need to reinstall all file and rebuild your configuration file from the new default configuration file. Data files may not need to be remove, backward compatibility should be preserved.
Version 8.7 - Saturday January 05 2013
This release fixes a major bug which prevented logs from being parsed after the new year change.
- Fix major bug with new year change when LAST_PARSED has a last line parsed from December. Thanks to Richard Victor Correia for the report. - Fix the .sample configuration file install in doc/ folder when building an RPM. Thanks to Igor Vuk for the patch. UPGRADE: Only the sendmailanalyzer Perl script and the .spec file have changed. If you found the bug about new year change, you have to: 1) stop sendmailanalyzer if it runs as daemon 2) replace the content of the LAST_PARSED file generated into the output directory with the following: Jan 1 00:00:00 - note the double space between Jan and the number 1. 3) replay all the log file generated from the new year with command: /usr/local/sendmailanalyzer/sendmailanalyzer -f -b -i -l logfile 4) if you use the daemon mode, restart sendmailanalyzer.
Version 8.6 - Thuesday December 26 2012
This release improve support to Postfix with Dovecot and Spamd, there's also several bug fixes.
- Fix details search of top sender and status in top rejected stats. Thanks to Arthur Gouros for the report. - Add SKIP_RCPT_RELAY configuration directive to bypass local delivery messages that double the count of messages. Default is dovecot. Thanks to Richard Victor Correia for the report. - Change install to copy sendmailanalyzer.conf.sample into the doc/ directory and copy sendmailanalyzer.conf into etc/ if none already exist. Thanks to Igor Vuk for the report. - Fix search of rejected message on domain. Thanks to Arthur Gouros for the report. - Fix virus name storage with spamd-milter quarantine detection. Thanks to Bill V for the report. - Change menu "Rejection & Errors" into "Rejection and Events". - Fix missing system message when it was registered at same time than a previous one. - Reorder command line option, short before long. - Fix top authid with anonymous TLS SMTP auth. - Add support to syslog high resolution timestamp. Thanks to Richard Victor Correia for the report. - Replace .orig extension into .sample. - Add anonymous TLS connection established into auth report instead, of errors/events report. Thanks to Arthur Gouros for the suggestion. - Fix top domain name search in top rejected view. Thanks to Arthur Gouros for the report. - Change in .spec file to reflect the config file renaming. Thanks to ivuk fro the patch. - Add missing spamd historical report in sa_cache. Thanks to Bill V for the report. UPGRADE: you may reinstall all files and edit your configuration file to add the the SKIP_RCPT_RELAY directive and set its value to dovecot if you are using it for local delivery.
Version 8.5 - Sunday December 16 2012
This is a bugs fix release with better signal handling and spam logs detection.
- Fix spam report with spamd and add spamd to the SPAM_TOOLS configuration directive. Thanks to Bill V for the report. - Update documentation about start script and signal handling. - Add new starter file for distribution using systemd at init and a README file to explain how to install those scripts. Thanks to Durwin for the report. - Fix typo in regex pattern of spamd lines detection. Thanks to Bill V for the report. - Fix removing of pid file which in some case was not removed. - Fix signal handler on SIGTERM. - sendmailanalyzer.conf will now be installed as sendmailanalyzer.conf.orig. - Fix issue in spam message detection. Thanks to Stefan Berger for the report. - Fix case where recipient was not collected on postfix servers because the Sent status in in lower case. Thanks to Kalpesh Patel for the report.
UPGRADE: you may reinstall all files and edit your configuration file to add the spamd keyword to the SPAM_TOOLS directive if you have the spamd installed.
Version 8.4 - Friday July 13 2012
This is a bug fix release, with the addition of the SIGHUP signal handler to allow a full restart of sendmailanalyzer forcing it to reread configuration and reopen the log file.
- Add signal handler to SIGHUP to allow a full restart of sendmailanalyzer to force reread configuration file and reopen the pipe to the log file. Suggested by Vicky Brown. - Allow character @ in secure_param() to allow syslog-ng remote host syntax. Reported by Leon van Ofwegen. - Add more information on CGI param error returned by secure_param(). - Add logrotate example to restart sendmailanalyzer in main documentation. Reported by Vicki Brown. - Fix a bug in Top Authid where number was always 1. Reported by Dan Szkola.
UPGRADE: you'd better reinstall all files after saving your configuration. Unless you just want to copy sendmailanalyzer and sa_report.cgi that are the only files that have changed as well as the documentation.
Version 8.3 - Friday June 01 2012
This is a major bug fix release, please upgrade now if you are using SendmailAnalyzer v8.x.
- Fix a major bug in sa_cache that could lead in totally false statistics. Please upgrade ASAP. Thanks to Dan Szkola for the report. - SendmailAnalyzer now fully support Cyrillics character with the help of two new configuration directives HTML_CHARSET and TTFONT. The first must be set to 'utf-8' and the second to a true type font file. Thanks to Nikolay G. Petrov for the report.
UPGRADE: you'd better reinstall all files as all perl script have changed after saving your configuration file. If you have the sa_cache bug and your stats are wrong, chance if you have FREE_SPACE to archive as by following the "Archiving" chapter in the admin guide (http://sendmailanalyzer.darold.net/admin.html) you will be able to rerun sa_cache.
Version 8.2 - Sunday March 11 2012
This release add reports of smf-spf milter into reject statistics and fix bug on syslog truncated message.
- Fix a case where Amavis spam detail are not collected du to syslog message truncating. Thanks to Przemyslaw Sikora for the report. - Add report of Sendmail milter smf-spf, they will be reported with rejected/error message. Thanks to Przemyslaw Sikora for feature request. - Remove a man page wrong named with double extension mark. Thanks to John Lockard for the report.
Version 8.1 - Sunday January 08 2012
This release fixes some minor bugs and adds support to Postgrey statistic reports. There's also a new german translation file and some new configuration directives.
- Add german translation file. Thanks to Sven Wehner for the contribution. - Fix count for the authid login id which always shows 1 for all users. Thanks to Mark Price for the report. - Fix unterminated column html tag in reject statistics. - Fix top Spam statistics on spamassassin autolearn information. - Add support to postgrey statistics. Thanks to John Lockard for the feature request. - Add POSTGREY_NAME configuration directive to change the default syslog ident name of Postgrey. See configuration file for more information. - Add POSTGREY_VIEW configuration directive to enable/disable the postgrey link into the menu. Disable by default for backward compatibility. UPGRADE: if you don't want to use the install procedure, you can overwrite all Perl and CGI scripts as well as all language files. Backward compatibility of data files are fully preserved.
Copyright (c) 2002-2014 Gilles Darold - All rights reserved. (GPL v3).